Friday, December 31, 2010

The Struggle To Please

There is something in our human nature that causes us to want to please people. Whether it stems from a desire to bring happiness to others, to fit in, to want recognition, or to look good, people pleasing is something that most people struggle with some way.

I want everyone to be happy and everyone to be happy with me. I feel like I have a lot of expectations to live up to. But God has been working on my heart to break me of this "addiction". It's been a slow and uncomfortable process, but one that is truly starting to change my view about pleasing others. Here are a few things God has showed me...

Fact 1: You can't please everyone. It is impossible. It's been said over and over again but obviously we aren't getting it, so let me say it again...IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PLEASE EVERYONE! There are people who will never be happy, no matter what you do or don't do. There are people who always find something to complain about. So don't make yourself crazy trying to please them because you never will.

Fact 2: You can't listen to what everyone says. Many great works of God have been hindered and even completely halted because a person has listened to negative feedback, complaining, why they can't do something, etc. Take people's comments to prayer and ask God to help you discern what to keep and what to throw away. Then really throw it away.

Fact 3: Jesus didn't people please. So all those people who try to discourage you, guilt you, control you...you don't have to buy into it! Jesus constantly faced people who tried to manipulate him, especially (interestingly enough) from religious folks. And some of them really meant well. Remember that many times Satan uses Christians against each other. Sad but oh so true.

What I have to do is daily get a hold of God and get in His Word. He gives me discernment to separate truth from fiction. I have to know who God wants me to minister to and what He is calling me to do. The bottom line is this: the Bible says as much as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. But it doesn't say live to please everyone. When all is said and done, you will stand before God, not man, so live your life to please Him.