Monday, March 28, 2011

God's Word

"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."
-Hebrews 4:12 (NIV)


I was unable to make it to church yesterday, so I attended church online via Valley Bible Fellowship. The pastor who was speaking, Jim Crews, is a good friend of ours and he was talking about the importance of filling our minds and hearts with the right things. One of those things is the Word of God. Duh, right? But in all reality, how much Word really penetrates our lives?

Reading the Bible is truly a blessing we have in this country, many others around the world do not have this privilege. And while reading the Word is vital to the Christian walk, do we go beyond simply reading words on a page? Do we go beyond study and devotions?

Do we really let the words of Scripture take root in our hearts and minds?

The Bible is full of amazing passages and stories that will encourage you, challenge you, guide you... I know that God has used His Word to speak to me too many times to count. What are you going through right now? Let me challenge you to find a scripture that will speak to you and/or your circumstances (many Bibles have a topical index in the back). Then take the time to memorize it. Once you have that allowed that word to penetrate your heart and your mind, whenever you need it, it will be there.

For example, God has given me several words from the Bible as we have been navigating this crazy season of life. Whenever I am struggling with doubt or discouragement, I can simply recite that scripture to myself and let it remind me of the promises God has given me and help me change the thoughts and attitude of my heart.

There are so many benefits to knowing the Word of God. But one of the most important is that God SPEAKS THROUGH it. The Word of God truly is living and powerful.