Friday, March 11, 2011

When Things Need To Change

If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.
- Mary Engelbreit


Life can be frustrating. Last night, I was venting to my husband about the many things I am frustrated about right now. There are circumstances in my life and around me that I wish would/could change, yet they are beyond my control. But there are also circumstances in my life and around me that I wish would/could change, and I have all the power to make it happen.

For many of us, our issue doesn't come with RECOGNIZING what needs to change, but in IMPLEMENTING change itself.

My young daughter can get upset over the smallest things sometimes. In those instances, I tell her, "Don't get upset over something you can change." As I was venting last night, I realized that complaining was getting me nowhere in changing my circumstances. Instead, I need to take my frustration and use it to fuel me to make the right adjustments. For those things that are beyond my control, the thing I need to adjust is my attitude.

Look at the thing in your life that you are most unhappy about or that you tend to complain about the most, then (prayerfully) find a way to change it. If it's something that you can't change yourself, then take it to prayer, ask God to change your perspective, and trust Him with the rest.