Thursday, March 24, 2011

Real Authenticity

"Deep down, I want to be Velveteen-Rabbit real: threadbare and worn, and loved even more for it."

This statement in Alece Ronzino's blog post about her love/hate relationship with authenticity struck a chord with me.

“Being real” is a term that is thrown out there all the time. People say how much they admire when someone is "being real". Especially in the church world, where being a hypocrite is a cardinal sin, authenticity is embraced and “fake” Christianity is despised.

But when people begin to get deep with their authenticity, others run from it. I've been guilty of it. Sure, share your prayer requests and struggles, we are supposed to bear one another's burdens, right? But whatever you do, please don't show any kind of emotion or get too deep on me because that might get awkward. I may even have to avoid your phone calls or pretend I don't see you at church.

I know for some of us, it's a lot easier said than done. But we can ask God to help us have a heart for the burdens of others. Sometimes all people need is for someone to just be there, instead of running away. If we truly value "being real" then lets allow people the opportunity to BE real.