Monday, February 28, 2011

Arguing With God

Have you ever found yourself questioning God? I mean, I know that God's ways and reasons are far above my own, but sometimes I just can't help but think, "God, what the heck are You doing?" Or, "This makes absolutely no sense God." Can you relate?

Today I had one of those moments. We got some disappointing news about something we've been earnestly praying about for a long time. What made it worse, is that I was actually feeling pretty hopeful that this would be the answer to prayer we've been seeking. For me, it was one more closed door and I felt like someone just punched me in the stomach. Now, not to sound over-spiritual or anything, I've been pretty positive and hopeful recently. But this news started me on the familiar trail that begins as disappointment and slowly descends to the valley of doubt and discouragement. So imagine my reaction when I go to get in the Word today and this is staring me in the face...

"What sorrow awaits those who argue with their Creator. Does a clay pot argue with its maker? Does the clay dispute with the one who shapes it, saying, ‘Stop, you’re doing it wrong!’"

Oh, but it gets even better...

"This is what the Lord says— the Holy One of Israel and your Creator: 'Do you question what I do for my children? Do you give me orders about the work of my hands? I am the one who made the earth and created people to live on it. With my hands I stretched out the heavens. All the stars are at my command.'" (Isaiah 45:9-12 NLT)

God knows everything. His wisdom and knowledge, no one can fathom. Me? I'm doing pretty good if I can find my car keys in the morning. Who am I to question the One who created the universe? The One who commands everything into being?

Yes Lord, point well taken.