Friday, January 14, 2011

Asking Big - 31 Days Of Hope (Day 14)

"Prayer moves the hand that moves the world." John Aikman Wallace

I'm asking God to do some big things. I know He CAN! He is almighty, all powerful God! Granted, I know that I may not receive exactly what I've been praying for. God may even tell me no. But as far as I'm concerned, WHY NOT ASK?

There are several verses in the Bible that talk about being confident in our faith and even in our asking God for something...

"In Him and through faith in Him we may approach God with freedom and confidence." Ephesians 3:12

"Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:16

"If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!" Matthew 7:11

Now before you think I'm going to go on a "Blab it and Grab it" rant, let me reassure you that I am not. I am not suggesting that God will do or give you anything and everything you desire. In fact, there are very specific scriptures that tell us we must be in line with God's will in regards to what we are requesting. Check it out...

"You do not have because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives..." James 4:2-3

"This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him." 1 John 5:14-15

That being said, I'm not going to get into all the workings and teachings on prayer. That's another post (or ten). I am simply posing the question...
What if our FAITH in God was so big that we had the confidence to ASK big?
My suggestion is this- don't be afraid to ask God. And don't be afraid to receive His answer. You may not get what you want. God may even tell you no. But if He does, there is a darn good reason for it. I believe that when we take things to God in prayer and put them into His sovereign hands, it allows Him to change and move our hearts according to His will...and that is a good thing.

The Bible is clear that God WANTS us to come to Him with our requests, our needs, and even our desires. Are you not asking God for something because you think your request is too big? God can move mountains! Do you think your request is impossible? God has the power to bring the dead back to life! Nothing is impossible with God.