Monday, January 31, 2011

Hope In Believing - 31 Days Of Hope (Day 31)

I can do all things through Him Who strengthens me.
-Philippians 4:13


Simple verse, well known, often quoted. But how much do you really BELIEVE it?

I'm sure you've heard someone say, "God will never give you more than you can handle." And I think that is partially true. Yes, I said partially. You see, I believe that, more times than not, tough things happen and we find ourselves in way over our heads. We CAN'T handle it...at least not on our own. We need help.

The apostle Paul had a lot of hills and valleys in his life. He talks about it a bit in Philippians 4:12... "I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need."

If anyone had a reason to "brag" about suffering, it was Paul. So how did he handle it? Did he turn and run away in fear? Was he paralyzed in despair? Did he give up on God? Not at all!! I'm sure he felt like doing all of those things at times in his ministry. But instead of giving in to his flesh, Paul moved forward in strength, boldness, and power. He fought the good fight and finished the race. How?

God.

Paul knew God's power. Not only that, but He believed in it.

God is our refuge, our fortress, our deliverer. He is our ever-present help in time of need. God is everything we need, when we need it. You can't do everything on your own. But you CAN do ALL things THROUGH GOD who enables you, equips you, and strengthens you. Believe it.