Friday, January 28, 2011

Hope In (Im)Perfection - 31 Days Of Hope (Day 28)

“My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and my talents and I lay them both at His feet.”
-Mahatma Gandhi


We all have standards and expectations put on us every day. Some by others and some by ourselves. If you are anything like me, I struggle with trying too hard to live up to those expectations. So when I come up short, I often feel frustrated and discouraged. I was so irritated with myself today because I was running 30 minutes late taking my child to school. Mom of the year! While that may not seem like a big deal to you, it is to me. I don't like feeling like I let people down. I hate feeling like I let myself down. And I truly hate feeling like I let God down. But the good news is this:
God doesn't expect me to be perfect. In fact, He KNOWS I'm not!
Doesn't that lift a huge burden off of your shoulders? It does for me! God knows all of my imperfections and weaknesses, and though He doesn't love them, He loves me. God sent His Son Jesus to die for my ALL of my sins. In accepting Jesus as my Savior, I don't have to walk anymore in bondage to my failures because I have been forgiven of them! And not only that, I know that God is working in my life to help me fix those imperfections and strengthen my weaknesses.

"That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."
2 Corinthians 12:10 (NIV)

Yeah, try as I may, I am not Super Mom. I never will be. But you know what? When I finally got to school to drop of my child, I saw that there were quite a few parents who were doing the same, some even pulling up as I was leaving. Imagine that.

Don't get caught up in expectations, you will never meet all of them. Don't get caught up in perfection. No one is perfect. Do your best with what you can and then lay the rest at God's feet.