Monday, January 17, 2011

Hope And Change - 31 Days Of Hope (Day 17)

God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear,
though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar
and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.
Psalm 46:1-4


John F. Kennedy said, "The one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable." Man, do I know the truth in that statement.

I, for one, have never been a huge fan of change. Some people thrive on it, but I tend to wince at it. My husband is one of those who can adapt pretty easily. I'm learning to. You would think with as many changes as I've been though in the past few years, it would be a piece of cake, right? I only wish.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why I struggle with it so much. Is it lack of faith or trust in God? Pride? Fear? Not being in control? Maybe a little of all of the above? I love the feeling of security. And for some reason, change has a way of messing everything up!
But change is inevitable.
Sometimes it's good and sometimes... well, not so much. But in those times of "not so much" my security should not waiver if I have my security in God! There are several "uncertains" in my life right now, therefore there are several circumstances where change is a possibility. When I start to feel anxious and unsure, I must remember that even though life changes, God does not. In the midst of uncertainty, I can be sure that God is with me every step of the way. My ever-present help. He knows what is going on and knows what is around the corner. And not only that, He also knows and desires what is best for me.

I can't think of a more fitting way to end than with one of the closing verses in the chapter of Psalms quoted at the beginning of this post...

"Be still, and know that I am God."